So you want to paint your Summerville house and you’re unsure which paint sheens should go where. Don’t worry below I’ll explain the differences between the various sheens and where to use them.
How Shiny are Flat, Matte, Eggshell, Satin, Semi-Gloss, Gloss, and High Gloss Paints
- Flat Paint – Flat has almost no sheen at all. Some of the higher end more expense flat paints have a very slight sheen to give them better-cleaning properties.
- Matte Paint – Matte has a very slight sheen and will feel smoother to the touch than flat paint
- Eggshell Paint – This paint starts to get some noticeable shine. You’ll also start to notice a slight reflection off the walls.
- Satin Paint – Satin is very close in sheen to eggshell paint it’s a tiny bit shinier.
- Semi-Gloss Paint – The surface will be very slick and more light will be reflected off the walls. This is the most common sheen used on trim and doors.
- Gloss Paint – It’s extremely shiny and will be highly reflective.
- High Gloss Paint – This shine is usually only achievable with an oil based paint and will leave a mirror like finish.
What Sheen to Use on Ceilings
Ceilings should almost always be done in a flat paint.
What Sheen to Use on Trim
Most trim is painted with a semi-gloss sheen, although if there’s detailed trim work through out the house using a gloss can really make it stand out. Satin can also be used usually in old homes that have nicked up or damaged trim.
What Sheen to Use on Bathrooms and Kitchens
At least an eggshell or satin sheen. These have good cleaning properties while not being too shiny. Some people insist on having semi-gloss in those areas but personally, I feel it’s an overkill.
What Sheen to Use on Interior Walls
Any paint can be used on the walls but I suggest using a flat, eggshell, or satin. Use flat in areas that aren’t commonly used such as formal dining rooms. Eggshell on areas that are used more commonly but the walls don’t get touched all that often like bedrooms. Satin in higher traffic areas like hallways.
Call Paragon Painting
Of course, when you hire Paragon Painting, for your interior painting needs, we will work with you to help you decide. We have painted 1,000′s of rooms and know which colors and sheens work well and which don’t really work at all.
Summerville, Mt Pleasant, Moncks Corner, Folly Beach, Ladson, North Charleston, Hanahan, James Island, Sullivans Island, and beyond. We are the experts in exterior and interior house painting, call us at 843-695-9450